Suspected intake issue Dodge Ram 2009

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Suspected intake issue Dodge Ram 2009

• smyth64
    Community Member
    February 16, 2021 at 4:28 am

09 Ram was having an issue a while back where it would have occasional power loss past 3K RPM and it was throwing a code for the throttle valve. Issue acts up on rare occasion still be seems to have mostly self corrected. Now suddenly it is absolutely gutless past 2-2.5K RPM and my fuel economy dropped in pretty spectacular fashion as well. Been like this the last several times I’ve driven it and seems pretty consistent. It seems like it is having trouble breathing but I’ve checked the air box for obstructions and looked as far into the intake hose as I can without taking it off and looking in the intake itself. Not throwing a code so not sure where to start. I can live on 150HP for a while if I have to but I do a lot of highway driving so I my nearly 40% reduction in fuel economy is going to be an issue. Started pretty rough the past few days but figured it was the negative temps outside, now I think it might be this. Its worse when its cold but its still bad all the time.

MSelleen
    Administrator
    February 17, 2021 at 3:16 pm
    Up
    Down

Hi

If it’s an electrical trouble code on the throttle body, there is probably not much to do than replace it and check wirings. In some cases it can help to clean it and make basic setting of it, depending on the trouble code

smyth64
    Community Member
    February 18, 2021 at 4:26 am
    Up
    Down

I am going to tear into it and try to get a better look when I have time but since its not throwing a code I don’t know how much I can do as far as checking electronics. Basically just throw parts at it and hope it fixes it?

old garage mechanic
    Community Member
    November 19, 2021 at 5:14 pm
    Up
    Down

Try some throttle body cleaner,  sometimes a little dirt in the throtle can cause it.

MichaelHRitzel