Starting probs Dodge Dakota 2002

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Starting probs Dodge Dakota 2002

• jamxo0416
    Community Member
    October 30, 2021 at 7:23 pm

my dodge dakota is failing to start consistently. i turn the key…nothing. after repeated attempts it will turn over a little, albeit slowly. like a dead or weak battery. after a few tries it will turn over like normal and start up. i have replaced the battery and the ignition switch. could it be the clock spring? starter? relay? so confused…help?

Brand: Dodge
    Model: Dakota
    Year: 2002

MSelleen
    Administrator
    October 30, 2021 at 9:14 pm
    Up
    Down

If the starter is turning slowly, it definitely sounds like a power, ground issue or a faulty starter. It could be a ground issue between the engine-to-body or the car battery-to-body. Next time it happens, try to put a jumper cable between the engine-to-body or battery-to-body at some good ground points.

If the ground cables and power cables seem fine, I would take a look at the starter.

jamxo0416
    Community Member
    October 30, 2021 at 10:33 pm
    Up
    Down

i checked the negative battery terminal to body and block with my meter. showed a good connection. i checked the starter at the relay with a jumper wire. turned over well every try. this started when my air bag light started going on and off recently. could it be related or coincidental? i have a new clock spring on its way. tried to start it in neutral…no difference.

MSelleen
    Administrator
    October 31, 2021 at 7:58 pm
    Up
    Down

You can’t just measure it with a multimeter, need to test it under load. You can also feel carefully if any of the ground cables are warm after a starting attempt, this usually happens when it’s bad (warning they can become really hot. Regarding the airbag light, you should first read the codes because when the light is on there is a trouble code stored.