ABS/Traction/Brake on No DTC – Nissan Sentra 1.8L 4 cylinder 2013

Car Forum Trouble Codes ABS/Traction/Brake on No DTC – Nissan Sentra 1.8L 4 cylinder 2013

• AlpineSeeker
    Community Member
    April 14, 2024 at 7:41 pm

Hello all,
    Recently while driving my wife’s 2013 Nissan Sentra the traction control light came on followed by what felt like the transmission starting off in second gear. Then the ABS light came
    on and I returned home. I hooked up my Thinktool Pro and scanned for codes and found a usual MAF Code (P0101) and a new code C1130-00 Engine Signal code. Thinking of a bad wheel speed sensor I graphed all four and drove the car and saw no difference in any of the sensors. I cleared the codes and rechecked and everything was normal so I drove over to get the oil changed and while waiting in line the ABS, Traction, and Brake light came on again together this time. I again scanned for codes but found no codes in the car at all I was hoping that someone could let me know how a car can have several lights on and yet not set any DTC’s? I thought about communication issues but if a module wasn’t communicating with the ECM shouldn’t there be a code? Also if there was a power/ground issue in a module would that generate a DTC? Two days before I had the car into the Nissan dealer for a security issue recall involving a ECM reprogram and asked them to check on the recurring MAF DTC that I found a tech service bulletin on (another ECM reprogram) but instead they did a $225 diag and came up with $900 in suggested repairs on other things but did nothing with the MAF. Since they checked the brakes I was thinking that they may have damaged the wheel speed sensors causing my issue but the signals from the sensors look stable and consistent with each other. I am at a loss on this and before I start unplugging modules I wanted to ask the forum for advice on this. Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from anyone soon. Thanks so much. Best Regards, Ross

Brand: Nissan
    Model: Sentra
    Year: 2013
    Engine: 1.8L 4 cylinder

alexcray
    Community Member
    April 22, 2024 at 2:27 am
    Up
    Down Accepted answer

Hey Ross,

It sounds like you’re dealing with quite a puzzle there! It’s frustrating when multiple lights come on without any corresponding diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). While it’s unusual for there to be no codes at all, intermittent communication issues or power/ground problems could potentially cause this.

Given that you recently had work done at the Nissan dealer, it’s worth double-checking if any connections might have been affected during the ECM reprogramming or brake inspection. Sometimes, issues can arise after servicing that require a closer look.

Since you’ve already checked the wheel speed sensors and they seem fine, it might be worthwhile to inspect other electrical connections and modules for any signs of damage or loose connections.

If the problem persists, it might be best to consult with a qualified mechanic or dealership technician who can perform a more thorough diagnostic check to pinpoint the root cause of the issue.

Hang in there, and I hope you’re able to resolve the problem soon!

Online Marketing Services Provider

AlpineSeeker
    Community Member
    April 23, 2024 at 9:59 pm
    Up
    Down

Hello Alexcray,

Thank you so much for your reply and yes this was a frustrating one with no evidence left behind. Actually after sitting for a week in my garage the problem vanished and has not reappeared since. I hate that kind of problem because you know that it can happen again and yet not know when or where. If it had been raining I would have suspected water intrusion into the wires or components and with ti being just after a service I am always suspicious of that especially when the techs find more problems and ignore what you brought the car in for. At this point just driving with fingers crossed as it gets 360 miles a week driven to work and back and so far so good. Thanks again for all your help and I wish you a wonderful rest of your week.