Abs and traction light on sometimes – Volkswagen Passat 1.9 2003

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Abs and traction light on sometimes – Volkswagen Passat 1.9 2003

• siy
    Community Member
    November 6, 2021 at 8:51 pm

Hi my Abs and traction light are only coming on sometimes and can stay on all day and then not come back on for days, Everytime I get to garage the light is off so they can’t find any errors when they plug the OND in, I have just had NCT done on car and was told my front ball joints are worn on left and right , I was wondering can worn ball joints cause ABS light to come on??

Brand: Volkswagen
    Model: Passat
    Year: 2003
    Engine: 1.9

MSelleen
    Administrator
    November 7, 2021 at 8:24 pm
    Up
    Down

Hello. The ball joints should not affect any warning light so that’s most likely not the issue. A common problem with these cars is a bad brake light switch, especially if you see the light come on when you press the brake pedal. It can however be a broken ABS sensor or many other possibilities, so reading the codes is almost a must.

I think you maybe should try at another place to read the codes with another scanner, because usually when the warning light comes on, there will be a trouble code stored for a long time in the ABS control module. Need to use a code reader compatible with reading the ABS control module also, and not just the engine control module.