Transmission Fluid – Dodge Stratus 2.7 liter 2002

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Transmission Fluid – Dodge Stratus 2.7 liter 2002

• AnswersPlzTx
    Community Member
    November 21, 2021 at 11:14 pm

When my transmission fluid is cold in the morning it shows overfilled on the stick, I was told that my car cooling system has something to do with the level when it is hot after running 15 min. But, it seems that someone has been vandalizing my car and takes coolant out or overfills it.  And I’m sure they are trying to make sure the level is not correct so I have to run it and not get a good temp reading of the transmission fluid.

Tricky, right…and evil.

Question why is my transmission fluid overfilled cold.  Why does it go down below the max level hot after 15 min. Why is my coolant changing level each day and I’m always having to worry about air bubbles in the cooling system.

Thank you,

AnswerPlzTx, so very much

Brand: Dodge
    Model: Stratus
    Year: 2002
    Engine: 2.7 liter

MSelleen
    Administrator
    November 23, 2021 at 4:47 pm
    Up
    Down

The transmission fluid can indeed change a lot depending on the temperature. It’s therefore suggested to always do the measurement when the fluid temperature is warm or what it says in your repair manual depending on the car model. It’s the safest way to get a correct measurement.

old garage mechanic
    Community Member
    December 9, 2021 at 3:31 pm
    Up
    Down

As the administrator posted the transmission fluid will have settled down and the transmission fluid could show higher.  Then after running the fluid has circulated through the transmission and checking the dipstick would show  fluid being low on the dipstick.  Does the engine run hot?

MichaelHRitzel