Maintenance 100,000 miles – Toyota Yaris 2009

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Maintenance 100,000 miles – Toyota Yaris 2009

• cyntmac
    Community Member
    October 23, 2023 at 6:06 pm

My 2009 Toyota Yaris now has 106,000 Miles on it. I don’t think the spark plugs have ever been replaced. Same with water pump. The driving is mostly local. I need to know what kind of maintenance is most important. This car has only been driven in California. Do certain fluids just need to be replaced at some point? Unfortunately very recently the car was being driven with almost no oil in it. It does not appear to be damaged though. I have had the battery and the tires replaced in the last 2 years. Money is somewhat limited. What should I focus on? What would be most critical? There has been very little maintenance done after 2016 except for oil changes. Thank you.

Brand: Toyota
    Model: Yaris
    Year: 2009

Boki
    Community Member
    October 25, 2023 at 7:04 pm
    Up
    Down Accepted answer

Hi.

Start with the basics – replace the engine oil and oil filter.

Check the air filter and replace it if it looks dirty.

Then, new spark plugs – this isn’t an expensive or complex job.

Do you have any warning lights, do you see any leaks underneath, strange noises?

cyntmac
    Community Member
    October 27, 2023 at 10:14 pm
    Up
    Down

Thank you. I know the filter is super dirty. The maintenance light is coming on too. I don’t see leeking and no unusual noises. I was just driving around with very little oil which I had neglected. Can you go past 104,000 miles and never change the water pump? I have not had the tires rotated in over 2 years but they were just replaced at that point. Is it expensive to change the water pump?

Boki
    Community Member
    November 6, 2023 at 9:32 am
    Up
    Down

A water pump is not a wear-tear item that needs to be replaced on a regular basis. And yes, it can go past 100,000 miles easily.

If the running temperature is OK, especially when driving on the highway, then you shouldn’t worry. I’d suggest doing a coolant flush, however.