Blue/white smoke – Infiniti QX60 2019

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Blue/white smoke – Infiniti QX60 2019

• Shiner452
    Community Member
    August 22, 2022 at 1:18 pm

Hey guys. My wife has been horrible about getting her oil changed. The car has 45,000 miles and has had 4 oil changes. 3 weeks ago I got the oil changed for her. A few days after that a plume of blue white smoke came out of the exhaust on start up. This didn’t happen again for a few start ups. Two days later I started it and it happened again so I checked the oil level and it was about an inch and a half above the H on the dipstick and had sludge on it. I have a friend who does oil changes and he and I decided to drain the oil, remove the oil pan and clean all the sludge out of it then add new oil. (We didn’t do an engine flush because I don’t want to jeopardize the seals any more than necessary). We got the oil level right at the H with 5 quarts of oil. We then proceeded to start the car and drive around the parking lot. No more smoke. I started the car about ten time one short trips and still no smoke. Then today I did a 10 mile trip and stopped for gas. When turning out of the gas station I gave the car a good rev and a huge plume of white/blue smoke came out the exhaust. Im wondering if there is still oil in the intake line. If so how long that takes to burn off. Any ideas of what else it can be?

Brand: Infiniti
    Model: QX60
    Year: 2019

Boki
    Community Member
    August 29, 2022 at 7:09 am
    Up
    Down

Hey Shiner452, here’s what’s the most likely cause – as you’ve previously overfilled the engine with oil, the excess amount gradually went up through the PCV (crankcase ventilation system) into the intake manifold.

Now, you did take care of the oil, but there is still some of it left inside the PCV tubing. But, assuming this is the problem, it will get burned off by the engine in a few days, or maybe a week or so.

But if this continues, let us know, there might be something else.

Shiner452
    Community Member
    August 29, 2022 at 4:42 pm
    Up
    Down

Thanks for the response.  I have driven the car about 150 miles since and it still randomly blows huge plumes of smoke.  At what point to I begin to worry that piston rings could be worn from the sludge rather than oil in the PCV tubes?

Boki
    Community Member
    September 5, 2022 at 9:10 am
    Up
    Down

Do you have sludge on the dipstick now? Also, is there any on the oil filler cap?

You always have small traces of sludge due to the condensation from the air, especially if you drive short distances a lot, and the humidity is high in your area.

If my theory about the PCV valve and tubing is correct, it will take several hundred miles until the excess/overflown oil is burned. It probably accumulated within the intake manifold, and it takes time.