Bulb or electrical? – Subaru Outback 2010

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Bulb or electrical? – Subaru Outback 2010

• scott.syz.jordan
    Community Member
    April 20, 2022 at 7:54 pm

I replaced my 2010 Subaru Outback (2.5v CTV) low-beam headlights. The driver’s side bulb was mostly burned out; it was just a dimly lit filament while the passenger’s side bulb was brightly lit.

I replaced both bulbs as I’ve been taught you should replace them as a set as much for the light consistency as for attempting to equalize how long they last.

Only I discovered after I finished with the driver’s side bulb that it appeared just the same as the old one I replaced: A lit filament, but it wasn’t projecting light brightly.

Of course it’s possible I made an error, but basic visual and switch check indicated that I successfully replaced the passenger’s side bulb, and it projecting brightly. I did the driver’s side just the same.

Two points of concern and confusion: Is it more likely I made an error in the driver’s side bulb replacement process, and hence should I just try again or bring it to a shop?

Or is it possible that it’s connected to some sort of electrical or wiring problem?

For reference to the latter possibility, I’ve noticed over the past year, with no pattern I’ve been able to detect, my center electrical interface in my Subaru will just not work at all: Dashboard clock, lights (and seemingly the systems as well) on the air/heat control buttons and knobs, radio. The only two things that seem to work in those instances in that center interface is air – I can turn it on/off and it will blow, but adjusting cool-heat knob has no effect on it – and the hazard flashers. It usually seems to resolve itself after I’ve driven a trip of a few miles, turned off the car, come back some time (20m – 1hr) later, and turned the car back on.

Brand: Subaru
    Model: Outback
    Year: 2010

MSelleen
    Administrator
    April 20, 2022 at 8:05 pm
    Up
    Down

If the light bulbs had the same dim brightness, it sounds more like a ground issue somewhere. But it’s unfortunately difficult to say where without measuring the system and checking a wiring diagram. Check if there are any corrosion in the electrical socket to the bulb and if so, try to clean it and use some electrical spray 🙂