The craziest light issue – Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4×4 5.7 lt 1999

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance The craziest light issue – Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4×4 5.7 lt 1999

• Pitt
    Community Member
    January 5, 2022 at 9:48 pm

Ok i was hooking up a trailer and there was a short in the plug, blew 2 fuses. Didnt have a replacement with me so i jumped the one under dash with a wire and used different one for under hood fuse. Got home put proper fuses in but now when i turn key on headlights come on and stay on but running lights dont come on unless i turn the headlight switch on. But when i do all the breaklights come on and stay on so breaklights wont work but if i dont turn on lights break, and blinkers work fine. And when i hit my breaks the instrument lights for my gauges come on.

Now before all that when I first got the truck the two back brake lights didn’t work but the third one on the top of the cab did. So I ran a wire from that third brake light in the middle down to the back and then split it to the brake lights on each side. And hook them to the brown wire.

Brand: Chevrolet
    Model: Silverado
    Year: 1999
    Engine: 2500 4×4 5.7 lt

MSelleen
    Administrator
    January 6, 2022 at 8:29 pm
    Up
    Down

It sounds like something went wrong when you hooked up the brake lights from the middle one. You can’t just do that normally as it may get the wrong resistance, depending on how you wired it! Try to remove this wire to the brake lights and see what happens

Pitt
    Community Member
    January 9, 2022 at 3:40 pm
    Up
    Down

Without that wire i loose my back break lights. When i got the truck they didnt work only the 3rd one did. So instead of spending lots of time serching for a short or break i just bypassed it. Should i have cut the wires that originally went to the lights?