P1709 code & misc. – Hyundai Accent 1.6L 2009

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance P1709 code & misc. – Hyundai Accent 1.6L 2009

• A.Thomas92
    Community Member
    June 5, 2022 at 12:59 pm

Hi folks,

This is my first time using a forum so bear with me please. I have a used 2009 Accent that I purchased less than a year ago. 150k miles, and of course I expect problems at that stage.

A little while after I got it, it started stalling out at lights when I would roll up to stop, so I took it in and they replaced the camshaft sensor which fixed the problem. I’ve always felt a bit of hesitation shifting from first to second when I first get going, and I do find that it won’t pick up speed quickly if I gun the gas, so something’s up within the tranny. I also find that it struggles worse if the A/C is on.

So the other day, the speedometer & odometer stopped working, which the experts are saying is a speed sensor. But I put the code reader on it and it gave me P1709 – K/D Switch, open or short ground, which apparently can either the actual switch, the wiring, and/or the ECM.

Thoughts on this mess please and could it be the transmission is going and it’s just screwing with everything connected to it at this point?

Thanks.

Brand: Hyundai
    Model: Accent
    Year: 2009
    Engine: 1.6L

Boki
    Community Member
    June 7, 2022 at 8:16 pm
    Up
    Down

Hey A.Thomas92, sorry to hear about your issues. As for the P1709 error code – the switch (which is located inside the gear lever assembly) is the most likely cause. These things wear out with time, and you can only imagine how many times it has been activated during these 150.000+ miles.

Luckily, this switch is not expensive, and it’s easy to replace.