Engine oil Level not steady Nissan Pathfinder 2006

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Engine oil Level not steady Nissan Pathfinder 2006

• Malik_sadi
    Community Member
    November 2, 2021 at 11:10 am

Hello, I have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE RWD and the engine oil level gauge sometimes show me that there is low level of oil and sometimes its on high level like the oil is hidden somewhere and show up from time to time specially if I added even 0.5 liter of oil it become on high level again although it was low moments ago. I asked someone and he said it’s because of PCV valve but I read an article in this forum and I didn’t see this symptom. Is it caused by PCV valve or something else? The oil pressure gauge is in always in the middle didn’t dropped.

Brand: Nissan
    Model: Pathfinder
    Year: 2006

MSelleen
    Administrator
    November 2, 2021 at 10:32 pm
    Up
    Down Accepted answer

Is it an electrical oil level gauge or when you check the dipstick? The oil level can differ a lot depending on if the engine is warm or cold also. The car needs to be standing on a flat surface with the engine off for at least 10 before you check the oil level to get a good measurement.

Malik_sadi
    Community Member
    November 3, 2021 at 3:57 am
    Up
    Down

Hello MSelleen,
    I meant dipstick, I always check it when engine is cold and it sometimes show me low oil level and sometimes on normal level (full). However, one time I added I think about half a liter of 1 liter of oil not sure but didn’t exceed 1 liter and checked the oil level later it’s was full although before adding oil it was low so we are talking about 4 liter showing up from no where! I got confused about what happened

old garage mechanic
    Community Member
    November 9, 2021 at 8:01 pm
    Up
    Down

When you check it is it in the same position as you tookit the first time?   sometimes people check it when the car is sitting down hill or to a side and get different readings.  use the dipstick a couple of times.  I even had readings  that were off  three times in our truck.  how much metal in the oil.  a test is by taking and put some off your dipstick and put it on a finger,  then rub that finger and another together.   If you have small metal in your engine your fingers will feel like sandpaper when you rub two together.   Youy might think about having your oil changed or at least the oil filter

MichaelHRitzel