Engine misfires on hot start – Toyota Tundra 2.4 Liter 2001

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Engine misfires on hot start – Toyota Tundra 2.4 Liter 2001

• SeaLWeed
    Community Member
    July 26, 2022 at 11:30 am

2001 Tacoma 2.4L L4 A/T 2WD Regular Cab DLX 186,000 miles
    Engine misfires ONLY after a hot engine start (P0304 – Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected). After a hot start and driving for about 1 minute, the engine smooths out. Plugs and ignition coils have been replaced. All four plugs looked clean. No signs of burn, carbon or oil on plugs. I have replaced the fuel filter, removed and cleaned the throttle control and idle air control valve and replaced both gaskets. Cleaned mass airflow sensor. Removed and cleaned all four fuel injectors and replaced upper and lower fuel injector O-rings. All vacuum hoses look good, and no vacuum leaks have been found. The only other issue that I am experiencing is an exhaust leak, which is coming from a hole in the muffler. Water coolant temperature is in the normal range.  Any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Brand: Toyota
    Model: Tundra
    Year: 2001
    Engine: 2.4 Liter

Boki
    Community Member
    July 28, 2022 at 9:39 am
    Up
    Down

Hey, just one question – how did you clean the injectors? Did you have this done by a professional? If so, did he check the spray patterns?

SeaLWeed
    Community Member
    July 29, 2022 at 12:05 pm
    Up
    Down

Unfortunately, I did not have the injectors professionally checked and cleaned.  Instead, I took the route of a back-yard mechanic and cleaned them with carb cleaner and a cheap injector tester tool that pulses the injectors at different intervals.  They all appeared to have a good spray pattern.  I do have a question that I am unable to find an answer to…  Given that the injectors all have the same part number, are they interchangeable?  In other words, could I swap cylinder 4 injector with cylinder 1 injector?  I’ve read somewhere that the injectors are coded to the cylinder, but with mine being a later model, I wasn’t sure if that applied.

Boki
    Community Member
    August 9, 2022 at 9:23 am
    Up
    Down

In most cases, injectors being ‘coded’ only applies to diesel and direct injection engines. If I’m not mistaken, you have a ‘traditional’ engine, with injectors that spray into the intake (port injection). So, you can try swaping them out 😉