Reparable Cars – 2019 Suburban

Car Forum General Discussion Reparable Cars – 2019 Suburban

• crcook84
    Community Member
    February 17, 2022 at 12:28 pm

We got a 2019 Suburban probably 2-3 years ago now. Last year, an error code showed up on the display. We took it to our regular mechanic of 35+ years and they told us they couldn’t figure out what the error was. Basically, the car is so advanced that the manufacturer has designed the car to require specific tools to be able to diagnose it. They won’t give those tools to anyone who hasn’t undergone a specific certification process.

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know what the last model year was that a Suburban was reparable by a regular mechanic without requiring extra special certification?

2) Is there a website I could browse that gives information in regards to what cars are easy to repair vs what cars require special certifications just to be able to acquire the tools to diagnose a problem?

MSelleen
    Administrator
    February 21, 2022 at 9:50 pm
    Up
    Down

To be fair, I think you need to go to a little bit more updated mechanic. Car manufacturers can’t lock the diagnostic system so only they can do it, because it’s not legal! Sure it’s more difficult on newer cars, but it’s not impossible so if you want to use an independent mechanic I would just use someone that is updated on newer car models.