Trouble code P0740 – Dodge Ram P0740 code 1998

Car Forum Trouble Codes Trouble code P0740 – Dodge Ram P0740 code 1998

• signal6271
    Community Member
    April 1, 2024 at 9:13 pm

1998 dodge 1/2 ton sport model, one owner vehicle.

Transmission rebuilt February 2023.  Every 6 to 8 weeks since rebuild engine light on dash indicates P0740 code, which indicates torque convertor clutch solenoid. Trans fluid is fine, no erratic shifting, no high RPM, truck has less than 4K miles since transmission rebuilt. Each time the code comes on I take the vehicle back to the repair shop and they install a new solenoid. Then six to eight weeks later same symptoms occur/repeat. Any other suggestions? Or Is time to replace the torque convertor or just have the transmission shop start with fresh rebuild?

Brand: Dodge
    Model: Ram
    Year: 1998
    Engine: P0740 code

alexcray
    Community Member
    May 2, 2024 at 3:41 am
    Up
    Down

Despite recent rebuilding, there could be internal transmission issues causing the code to reoccur. This might include problems with the torque converter itself, internal seals, or valve body components.

Online Marketing Services Provider

signal6271
    Community Member
    May 2, 2024 at 1:19 pm
    Up
    Down Accepted answer

The code (P0740) keeps coming. The torque convertor was replaced. the governor was replaced, the trans solenoids have been replaced ( 3x). They replaced ECM unit. The code (P0740) came back after road test of 80 miles. Now the transmission is being rebuilt again.

At this point, not sure if “everything” in transmission is being replaced? I will assume so. If it were my shop and this is what I do for a living. I would replace everything at this point. keep you posted. So far mileage and time wise it is less than 3K miles on the first rebuild in 02/2023 and 15 months later.