Red hot catalytic converter – Ford EDGE 3.5L Duratec V6 2013

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Red hot catalytic converter – Ford EDGE 3.5L Duratec V6 2013

• pennypincher
    Community Member
    November 9, 2023 at 6:56 pm

Back in April, my catalytic converter smelled like rotten eggs and became sluggish with only 93,000+ miles on it. I had the local mechanic put a new one on and go ahead to do the 100,000-mile service on it. (changed spark plugs, coils, s 1&2 sensors,)

With 95,000 miles on it, it is doing the same thing again but no rotten egg smell, but the catalytic converter was glowing red. He said no codes were thrown when he checked for them.

My question is, what causes the catalytic converter to glow red?

Thanks, in advance.

Brand: Ford
    Model: EDGE
    Year: 2013
    Engine: 3.5L Duratec V6

Boki
    Community Member
    November 28, 2023 at 8:30 am
    Up
    Down

Hi.

Your engine might be running rich, with unburnt fuel going into the cat, where it causes it to become hot.

Have you ever noticed a flashing check engine light on the dashboard?

alexcray
    Community Member
    February 29, 2024 at 2:53 am
    Up
    Down

A clogged catalytic converter, damaged exhaust pipes, or a malfunctioning muffler can create backpressure forcing exhaust gases to remain in the catalytic converter for longer, leading to overheating.

Online Marketing Services Provider

alexcray
    Community Member
    March 19, 2024 at 4:51 am
    Up
    Down

If your engine is running rich (burning too much fuel), unburned fuel can reach the catalytic converter and combust there. This extra heat can cause the converter to glow red. A faulty fuel injector, faulty sensor (like an oxygen sensor), or a vacuum leak could be causing the rich condition.

alexcray
    Community Member
    March 19, 2024 at 4:53 am
    Up
    Down

These sensors play a vital role in regulating the air-fuel mixture entering the catalytic converter. A faulty sensor, especially the sensor located after the converter (downstream sensor), could be sending incorrect signals causing the engine to run rich (too much fuel). This excess fuel can burn in the converter, generating extreme heat.