Ground Wire in a US Car? – Ford Explorer V6 2004

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Ground Wire in a US Car? – Ford Explorer V6 2004

• jsRADiO
    Community Member
    November 20, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Hi Guys:

The vehicle runs (ran!) great, but for some time, there was a pause before a solid crank and start, always first key turn. The pause to start became longer, then finally zero crank, pure silence.

I am NO WHERE near y’all’s level, but I am near certain that the culprit is a ground connection. A key reason I think so, is that I used a load tester: Clamps on the terminals read zero. But putting the clamps in contact with the posts themselves read a good battery.

Going on that assumption, I read up on ground locations, and I saw several references all stating that Ford Explorers had grounding problems with a ground located (as I understood it) at the base of the driver’s door; but none said specifically where that connection is.

So, if my reasoning makes some sense, does anyone here know of this issue and more importantly, exactly(ish, lol) the location of said ground. ANY part I seem wrong about, I welcome corrections. All suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

Brand: Ford
    Model: Explorer
    Year: 2004
    Engine: V6

MSelleen
    Administrator
    November 20, 2021 at 9:27 pm
    Up
    Down

Hmm I didn’t exactly understand that with the load meter. However, it could be a faulty starter also. So when the car won’t crank over I would try to hit the starter with something to see if it helps – if it does the starter is worn. Some more info here: https://mechanicbase.com/troubleshooting/how-to-start-a-car-with-a-bad-starter/

I would also put a jumper cable between the engine and body on good ground points to see if it helps. If it helps, there is definitely bad ground between the engine and battery or battery to body.

old garage mechanic
    Community Member
    December 1, 2021 at 10:54 pm
    Up
    Down

If it started happening little by little I would look at the starter or started solonoid

MichaelHRitzel