Jump the battery – Toyota Camry 2004

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Jump the battery – Toyota Camry 2004

• IrishCub
    Community Member
    December 2, 2021 at 9:29 pm

I was trying to jump the battery on our Altima. I connected the jumper cables, (red-positive, black-negative) on both cars. I got in our Camry, the car with the good battery, and all I heard was a clicking sound. Tried it again and got the same result. On the third attempt, nothing happened at all. I got out and disconnected the jumper cables from both cars. Fearing the worst, that somehow I had caused some sort of electrical damage to the Camry, I turned the key and it started right up. Does this mean that, even though I could start the Camry okay, the battery is needing to be replaced?

Brand: Toyota
    Model: Camry
    Year: 2004

MSelleen
    Administrator
    December 2, 2021 at 9:31 pm
    Up
    Down

There could have been bad connection between the jumper cables and therefore you heard the clicking sound. If you let the cables sit for a while, it could have charged your battery enough to start your car though.

It could both be a bad battery, a bad alternator charging the battery or something that drained your battery. Check this for more information: https://mechanicbase.com/electric/drained-car-battery/

old garage mechanic
    Community Member
    December 10, 2021 at 11:26 pm
    Up
    Down

most likely you drained the battery down trying to start the other car.  I find that it is better to use a low  charge than a fast charge.  I found that it charges better with a slow trickle charge.

MichaelHRitzel