ENGINE SWAP DIESEL VS GAS – Hyundai Santa Fe 2008

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance ENGINE SWAP DIESEL VS GAS – Hyundai Santa Fe 2008

• earlybirddisco
    Community Member
    September 25, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Hello all, this is my first post, hope I get some guidance.

I am in a position where I have two vehicles with issues one is diesel and the other gas I have access to two other similar vehicles (with issues) that are slated to be scrapped. so there is 2 gas and 2 diesel vehicles, (2 different brands but 2 of each). Just assuming that everything else is equal (its not really but) just want to know if its easier to convert the diesel units to gas or convert the gas units to diesel.

If someone could point out what’s needed for both directions I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Brand: Hyundai
    Model: Santa Fe
    Year: 2008

Boki
    Community Member
    September 29, 2022 at 8:19 am
    Up
    Down

Hey earlybirddisco

So, you have a diesel Santa Fe that you want to continue to drive, but want to put a gas engine from another Santa Fe you also have.

OK, as an upside, as you have the gas car as a donor vehicle, you’ll have all the parts needed for the conversation. And that’s where the upsides end, more or less😢

This is quite a job, to be honest – you’d need to swap the engine with the transmission, all of the drivetrain-related electrics and engine harnesses, fuel tank, and differentials (gas and diesel are geared differently), just to name a few bigger things.

It’s more than doable, though, but it’s a big job.

earlybirddisco
    Community Member
    September 29, 2022 at 2:05 pm
    Up
    Down

Thanks, seems like am in for trouble.  The diesel Santa Fe which I already own engine is shot and pulled out and in pieces not sure the true story, the gas vehicle which is for sale but I haven’t bought yet needs  a transmission so seems am in a jam.