Chain Tensioner, clack okay? – Ford Escape 3.0L 2002

Car Forum Repair & Maintenance Chain Tensioner, clack okay? – Ford Escape 3.0L 2002

• chicken
    Community Member
    March 29, 2022 at 9:30 pm

02 Escape chain tensioner

This video should explain what I’m trying to say. In the video the chain tensioners are in the top left and top center of the screen and you can really see what I’m talking about at the 18 second mark. *The first thud you hear is the breaker bar against the control arm (not the tensioner clack I’m talking about).

I’m afraid then when I removed it I compressed it one too many times and that weakened it? Maybe I just squeezed all the oil out?

I’m worried that if its a little clack when I do it by hand it will be a big clack when the engine is actually running. Or is that how they are supposed to sound or will they fill back up with oil once the engine is running and get strong again?

btw the timing cover is already back on and it was a real PITA oh and I don’t want to redo the timing again so I’m really hoping you won’t ask me to repair or replace these.

Brand: Ford
    Model: Escape
    Year: 2002
    Engine: 3.0L

MSelleen
    Administrator
    March 30, 2022 at 9:42 pm
    Up
    Down

I’m sorry I can not answer 100%, you should check out a special Ford forum or even better ask a professional Ford mechanic. On most car models I replaced the tensioner on, however, it is like this before they are filled with oil pressure. They are not filled with oil before either, so in my eyes it looks normal, but can not say for sure for that particular model as my Ford engine knowledge is quite limited.